Friday, March 12, 2010

chile, here i come! (7.2 magnitude aftershocks and all...)

Saludos!

Just an update on the status of my volunteer gig that I was supposed to leave for next Tuesday (March 16): It's on! I just found out on Wednesday that the Chile Ministry of Education is going ahead with our program and sending us on schedule...allowing me roughly 6 days for preparation...Good thing I wasn't planning on packing until the day before anyway. Besides that minor detail, I'm pretty much all set to go. For those of you who are wondering about the strong aftershocks that are still hitting the country, the program has removed all the volunteers from the most seriously-affected areas and placed everyone in the Santiago Metro area and the Valparaiso region just northwest of Santiago by the ocean, a bit further north than the quake epicenters. I will certainly still feel them, quite possibly pretty strongly, but hopefully nothing too serious. My earthquake training from Japan might help me out here. :)
I will be participating in a 3-4 week orientation in downtown Santiago immediately after arrival and then moving to where ever my placement will be (I still don't know yet!) I'm excited, a bit nervous for the new work, a little sad I'll be gone for awhile, but ready to take on whatever South America tosses my way. I'm sure I'll have a lot to write home about once I get there and settle in so look out for another update in the near future!

Hablamos luego


Torres del Paine in the Chile Patagonia




No comments:

Post a Comment